American Public University System Marks Accomplishments of 8,700+ Graduates at 2013 Commencement
CHARLES TOWN, WV, June 24, 2013—American Public University System (APUS) celebrated the achievements of its largest graduating class ever of more than 8,700 American Public University (APU) and American Military University (AMU) graduates at its 17th annual commencement on June 15 at the Gaylord National Hotel in National Harbor, MD.
Dr. Wallace E. Boston, APUS president & CEO, commended the lifelong learning commitment of the students, who ranged in age from 14 to 67. Those attending represented 29 countries and all branches of the US military. They join APUS’s global network of nearly 29,000 undergraduate and graduate alumni worldwide.
Other noteworthy highlights of the 2013 graduating class and commencement included the following:
- The University’s School of Public Service and Health and School of Security and Global Studies conferred the largest number of degrees overall.
- The US Army had the most degree conferrals of any service branch, with more than 2,500 graduates.
- APUS recognized the inaugural graduates from its Bachelor of Science in Nursing program during an special pinning ceremony.
- Several Transportation and Logistics Management program graduates were approved for the American Society of Transportation and Logistics (ASTL) Academic Waiver program and received ASTL’s Professional Designation in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (PLS) credential with their APUS degrees.
- Emergency and Disaster Management graduate Carol Jeffers and Intelligence Studies graduate Eric Sifford received the President’s Award for outstanding academic graduate and undergraduate achievement, respectively.
In related news, Dr. Phil Ice, APUS vice president of research and development and Sloan Fellow, received The James P. Etter Award for Creativity and Innovation in recognition of his internationally-recognized research on the impact of new and emerging technologies on cognition in online learning environments. In addition, keynote speaker John E. Pereira, CIA chief of corporate learning, praised APUS for helping advance the cause of global online learning. He urged the graduates to live a life of continuous learning founded in principles of service, integrity, and excellence.
About American Public University System
American Public University System, winner of the Online Learning Consortium's (OLC) Ralph E. Gomory Award for Quality Online Education and first three-time recipient of the OLC's Effective Practice Award, offers more than 90 online degree programs through American Military University and American Public University. APUS's relevant curriculum, affordability and flexibility help more than 100,000 working adults worldwide pursue degrees in a diverse variety of subjects. For further information, visit www.apus.edu.
Contact Us for Media Inquiries:
firstname.lastname@example.org | Tiffany Young, Manager, Public Relations | 703-334-3264 (w) | 571-581-5260 (c)