HIMA310 - Electronics Health Records Fundamentals
Course Code: HIMA310 Course ID: 4910 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course examines the emerging technology of Electronic Health Records through conceptual theory of health information systems used in health care delivery systems including terminology and essential concepts of health information systems. An overview of varied automated administrative, clinical and financial systems is given. Additionally, the course covers structure of electronic health records (EHRs). Content includes overview of health care industry’s transitioning to electronic health record systems, components of EHRs, technologies used for input into EHRs, and privacy and security issues affecting access to and use of patient information.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|05/21/21 - 10/29/21||11/01/21 - 12/26/21||Fall 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|08/31/21 - 02/04/22||02/07/22 - 04/03/22||Winter 2022 Session I||8 Week session|
- Collaborate in the organizational of operational policies and procedures for EHRs
- Differentiate various models for health information exchange (HIE)
- Develop operational and organizational policies and procedures for health information exchange (HIE)
- Conduct system testing to ensure data quality and integrity of health information exchange (HIE)
- Identify roles that health information management play in ensuring, analyzing identifying threats, and evaluation of data integrity and data security.
- Implement policies and procedures to ensure data integrity, validity and security.
- Apply your knowledge of the NHIN and evaluate policies and processes in regards to system interoperability and data sharing for health information exchanges and regional health extension centers in the United States.
- Explain the systems development lifecycle within the context of information technology and the electronic health record.
Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
• Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday.
• Initial responses should be no less than 300 words and contains two references..
• Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
• Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
• Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
• Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
• All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
|Book Title:||Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice, 5th ed. - the VitalSource e-book is provided inside the classroom|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$115.00|
|Book Title:||EHR Go (aka Neehr Perfect) - Program Key & purchase instructions provided inside the classroom. Students will need access for the entire program. This material is not covered by the APUS Book Grant.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$285.00|
Not current for future courses.