NURS401 - Caring for Today's Veterans
Course Code: NURS401 Course ID: 4453 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course addresses the unique healthcare issues facing today's veterans. Emphasis is on physical and psychosocial needs of veterans and the delivery of patient/family centered care. Post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, and other health issues of veterans will be explored through evidence-based literature and research. Students will examine the veteran culture, identify health risks, analyze health issues and trends in healthcare systems, and explore best practices.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|04/26/21 - 10/01/21||10/04/21 - 11/28/21||Fall 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/21/21 - 10/29/21||11/01/21 - 12/26/21||Fall 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/28/21 - 12/03/21||12/06/21 - 01/30/22||Fall 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/27/21 - 12/31/21||01/03/22 - 02/27/22||Winter 2022 Session B||8 Week session|
|08/31/21 - 02/04/22||02/07/22 - 04/03/22||Winter 2022 Session I||8 Week session|
|09/28/21 - 03/04/22||03/07/22 - 05/01/22||Winter 2022 Session D||8 Week session|
The following objectives are aligned with the RN-BSN Program Outcomes (PO):
- Discuss the unique veteran culture and competencies needed to provide healthcare for veterans and their families. (PO 5, PO 8)
- Analyze the main issues facing today’s veterans and their families. (PO 7, PO 9)
- Evaluate the effect of combat on an individual’s psychosocial and physical health. (PO 3, PO 5)
- Determine the healthcare systems available for veterans and their families to promote coordination of patient-centered care. (PO 2)
- Explore the local and national policies impacting veterans and their families. (PO 7)
- Explain the relationship of mild Traumatic Brain Injury to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and suicide. (PO 5)
- Evaluate the unique healthcare issues of women veterans. (PO 8)
- Recommend resources to support the health of veterans and their families. ( PO 2)
- Evaluate advocacy efforts of nursing professional organizations to improve healthcare outcomes for veterans. (PO 9)
- Determine strategies to improve healthcare outcomes for veterans. (PO 2, PO 7, PO 8, PO 9)
Module Learning Objectives are located within the course.
Baccalaureate Essentials covered in this course include I, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX.
Please join the discussions each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Discussions are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the discussions and avoid copying and pasting from websites. In this class there are 10 graded discussions. One discussion in Week 4 and The Week 8 discussion are Reflection discussions, and you will be graded on completion of the reflection questions, not on the content.
- Post the initial response to each discussions by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to more than 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the discussions.
- All discussions can be accessed in the Discussions section of the course.
- Respond to all questions posed to you in your initial post by instructor and/or peers.
An initial post must precede the response posts to peers. An initial post received after Wednesday 11:55 pm will receive a 10% deduction for each day, for 3 days, prior to discussions being graded. This means the highest grade possible for a late submission of 3 days, is 70%. However, response posts are due by Sunday 11:55 pm. If response posts are not submitted by this time, the discussion is over. Therefore, no points can be awarded for collaboration, and the highest grade possible for late submission past 3 days is 60%.
There are no tests/quizzes in this course.
There are 4 written assignments due throughout the course. All assignment instructions and grading rubrics are located in the Assignments area of MyClassroom. Assignments are due by 11:55 pm EST on the Sunday of the week they are assigned, or as indicated in the Assignments area.
Required Course Textbook:
All required readings and resources are available within MyClassroom.
Academic Writing Requirements:
The School of Health Sciences requires use of APA format and style and all students are encouraged to have a current copy of the APA Publication Manual. All written assignments are to be submitted in APA format style unless otherwise noted in the assignment directions.
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.