RTMG204 - Finance Fundamentals
Course Code: RTMG204 Course ID: 4145 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
During this course, students will develop a basic vocabulary and application of finance functions and principles. Students will describe the importance of knowing retail based calculations such as retail pricing, markup, and gross profit. They will relate the concepts of retail math (initial margin, markdown, shrinkage, gross profit dollars and percents) to finance and to the overall business success of the retail enterprise. They will define and apply ending inventory, retail cost, cost compliment, net profit, net sales, controllable expense, and non-controllable expense. Students will examine how retail finance can be applied to products and services in a wide variety of situations and how to review a project and evaluate the financial situation.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/27/20 - 01/01/21||01/04/21 - 02/28/21||Winter 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/28/20 - 02/26/21||03/01/21 - 04/25/21||Winter 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Identify the goals of financial management and retail financial strategy.
2. Differentiate the basic principles of financial accounting, operational and financial leverage.
3. Describe asset management, budgeting and resource allocation.
4. Examine the techniques used to manage short-‐term assets and related liabilities.
5. Illustrate inventory evaluation and financial inventory control.
6. Apply the fundamentals of time value of money, valuation, rates of return, cost of capital, risk and capital budgeting.
7. Discuss the concepts of financial planning and forecasting in the retail industry.
|Discussion Forums||40.00 %|
|Introduction Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 1 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 2 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 3 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 4 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 5 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 6 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 7 Forum||4.44 %|
|Week 8 Forum||4.44 %|
|Assignment #1: Analyzing a Retail Pricing Strategy (Due at the end of Week 3)||20.00 %|
|Assignment #2: Mergers and Acquisitions (Due at the end of Week 4)||20.00 %|
|Assignment #3: Final Paper (Due at the end of Week 7)||20.00 %|
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.