SPMT601 - History, Culture, and Social Contexts of Sport
Course Code: SPMT601 Course ID: 2716 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
Students in this course will use analytical techniques to examine the theoretical, historical, social, and cultural aspects of sport. For the historical aspect, they will explore sociological issues over the ages from ancient times through to modern times. Students will discuss how sport and human life intermix in relation to cultural aspects. In addition, several issues of the social context will be identified and discussed with an emphasis on the philosophical, physical, religious, and other contemporary topics in sport.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|01/27/20 - 07/03/20||07/06/20 - 08/30/20||Summer 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
- Analyze differences between common beliefs and sociological research of the impact of sports on individuals and groups.
- Examine how sports impact participants and spectators.
- Identify deviant behaviors in sport.
- Debate changes in role and participation of girls and women in sports before and since the passage of Title IX.
- Illustrate the conditions under which commercial sports emerge and grow in a society and analyze how class relations are related to the growth of commercial sports in societies around the world today.
- Compare and contrast the role of sports in intercollegiate education in the United States.
- Analyze the meaning and purpose of organized sport in society.
- Analyze the role of religion in organized sports.
- Illustrate contemporary sociological concepts applicable to sport in today’s society
|Week 1 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 2 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 3 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 4 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 5 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 6 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 7 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 8 Forum||3.75 %|
|Week 1 Assignment: Sports in Society||18.00 %|
|Week 3 Assignment: Research Paper Proposal||9.00 %|
|Week 4 Assignment: Gender Issues||18.00 %|
|Final Paper||25.00 %|
|Week 7 Assignment: Final Project - Research Paper||25.00 %|
See Course Outline
There may be other materials, including websites outside the classroom, assigned by the Instructor during the course.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain websites are useful. Please abide by the APUS academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note website addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
North American Society for Sport Management
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
Not current for future courses.