SPMT606 - Techniques in Coaching Strategy
Course Code: SPMT606 Course ID: 2721 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
Students in this course will use analytical techniques to examine coaching strategies. Methods, practices, and approaches that apply across a number of sports disciplines will be discussed. Students will study several issues related to coaching preparation. Students will research, strategize, and reflect on past, present, and future coaching strategies. Course topics will address coaching philosophy, technique, time management, character, teaching, nutrition, and physical training. Methods for learning will include critical thinking, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to form an effective coach.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|02/24/20 - 07/31/20||08/03/20 - 09/27/20||Summer 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
- Exhibit decision-making skills aligned with personal coaching philosophy on contemporary challenges coaches face.
- Establish principles for coaching with character and instilling positive sportsmanship in athletes.
- Evaluate motivational strategies used by coaches to enhance sports performance.
- Assess the three stages of learning technical skills.
- Construct muscular endurance training, speed training, and power training programs for athletes.
- Illustrate the role of a coach in preventing substance abuse with athletes.
- Generate a presentation detailing a personal coaching philosophy, player expectations, and a variety of other internal team dynamics.
- Expound on personal coaching objectives to enhance coaching success through winning, athlete’s enjoyment, and developing athletes.
|Forum #1||3.75 %|
|Forum #2||3.75 %|
|Forum #3||3.75 %|
|Forum #4||3.75 %|
|Forum #5||3.75 %|
|Forum #6||3.75 %|
|Forum #7||3.75 %|
|Forum #8||3.75 %|
|Week 2 Assignment: Refining Your Coaching Philosophy||15.00 %|
|Week 4 Assignment: Training Program Development||15.00 %|
|Week 6 Assignment: Presentation to Coaches||15.00 %|
|Final Project||25.00 %|
|Week 8 Assignment: Final Project - Critical Analysis of a Coach||25.00 %|
See Course Outline
There may be other materials, including websites outside the classroom, assigned by the Instructor during the course.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain websites are useful. Please abide by the APUS academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note website addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
North American Society for Sport Management
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.