SPMT607 - The Sports Industry
Course Code: SPMT607 Course ID: 2766 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course is a study of the sports industry across all of its disciplines, functions, economics, leaders, and organizations. It is a macro view of sports as a major component of the modern corporate, social, economic, and recreation world. The industry is studied in detail in many different aspects as it exists in society. Key aspects of the sports industry history, contemporary situation, and future outlook are addressed.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|01/27/20 - 07/03/20||07/06/20 - 08/30/20||Summer 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/24/20 - 07/31/20||08/03/20 - 09/27/20||Summer 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/27/20 - 10/02/20||10/05/20 - 11/29/20||Fall 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
- Analyze the historical, sociocultural, economic, and environmental effects of sport tourism both domestically and internationally.
- Illustrate managerial leadership theories and practical concepts utilized by sports industry professionals in leadership positions.
- Critically evaluate the policies and development of governance structures in the sports industry.
- Critique sport marketing strategies, economic decision making, and finance theory and concepts relevant to the sport industry.
- Construct media marketing and communication strategies for the sports industry.
- Analyze ethical and legal aspects associated with the sports industry.
- Analyze consumer behavior and purchasing patterns related to sports.
|Week 1 Forum||6.00 %|
|Week 2 Forum||6.00 %|
|Week 3 Forum||6.00 %|
|Week 5 Forum||6.00 %|
|Week 7 Forum||6.00 %|
|Graduate Student Orientation||5.00 %|
|Week 1 Assignment: Graduate Student Orientation||5.00 %|
|Week 2 Quiz: Program Introduction||10.00 %|
|Week 4 Assignment: Amateurism||15.00 %|
|Week 6 Assignment: Transgender Policies in Sports||15.00 %|
|Final Project||25.00 %|
|Week 8 Assignment: Final Project - Internationalization of Sports||25.00 %|
See Course Outline
There may be other materials, including websites outside the classroom, assigned by the Instructor during the course.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain websites are useful. Please abide by the APUS academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note website addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
North American Society for Sport Management
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.