SPMT650 - Legal Issues in High School Athletic Administration
Course Code: SPMT650 Course ID: 4689 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course examines legal issues and considerations facing interscholastic athletic administrators. Major issues explored in this course include managing risk and liability within an interscholastic athletic department and complying with Title IX and gender equity policies. In addition, this course will focus on development of an effective risk management program designed for interscholastic athletics. (Prerequisite: SPMT603)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|09/30/19 - 02/28/20||03/02/20 - 04/26/20||Winter 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|12/30/19 - 05/29/20||06/01/20 - 07/26/20||Spring 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
- Define negligence and explain vocabulary related to negligent acts.
- Assess the fourteen legal duties relative to negligence litigation in interscholastic athletic administration.
- Analyze sports related legal court cases involving negligence within an interscholastic athletic program.
- Compose methods and practices for Title IX and gender equity compliance within an interscholastic athletic program.
- Assemble documentation requirements for a strategic risk management plan within an interscholastic athletic program.
- Construct an effective policy for the prevention of sexual harassment in an interscholastic athletic program.
|Forum #1||3.75 %|
|Forum #2||3.75 %|
|Forum #3||3.75 %|
|Forum #4||3.75 %|
|Forum #5||3.75 %|
|Forum #6||3.75 %|
|Forum #7||3.75 %|
|Forum #8||3.75 %|
|Week 2 Assignment: Case Study - Negligence||20.00 %|
|Week 5 Assignment: Title IX Presentation||20.00 %|
|Final Project||30.00 %|
|Week 8 Assignment: Final Project - Legal Issues in High School Athletic Administration||30.00 %|
See Course Outline
There may be other materials, including websites outside the classroom, assigned by the Instructor during the course.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain websites are useful. Please abide by the APUS academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note website addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
North American Society for Sport Management
|Book Title:||Athletic Administration: Legal Issues II (Title IX, Sexual Harassment) (Materials available for purchase through the NIAAA website. Please use these instructions- https://apus.libanswers.com/coursematerials/faq/241468)|
|Book Title:||Athletic Administration: Legal Issues I (Risk Management) (Materials available for purchase through the NIAAA website. Please use these instructions- https://apus.libanswers.com/coursematerials/faq/241468)|
Not current for future courses.