APUS Joins Civitas Learning™ as Pioneer Partner
More leading colleges, universities, and systems join the student success and analytics innovator, Civitas Learning, as Pioneers
Austin, Texas (July 29, 2014) – Civitas Learning™ welcomes new institutions to this year’s Pioneer Partners, as the company continues the work of powering student success and analytics innovation. Earlier this year, Civitas Learning announced its Founding Pioneer Partners, who are joined by these additional leading institutions from the ranks of research one, public four-year, private independent, community college, and private sector colleges and universities. What they have in common is their commitment to using analytics to help students successfully navigate their higher education journeys.
Dr. Karen Stout, president of Montgomery County Community College in Pennsylvania, said, “Our goal in partnering with Civitas Learning is not to add another project, but to leverage advanced analytics to inform and power the student success work our team is already deeply committed to today—and maybe borrowing some good ideas from our fellow Pioneer Partners for tomorrow!” Echoing this comment, Dr. Wally Boston, CEO of American Public University System (APUS) stated, “APUS was an early innovator in the use of analytics to help better serve students. Joining Civitas Learning allows us to continue this work with a growing and deeply committed community of educators innovating to help more students achieve their goals.”
To help lead in this work, the company features a strong team that brings significant talent and experience to bear. For example, Civitas Learning boasts as VP for Product Development the award-winning app designer, Laura Malcolm, from the Design and Technology program at Stanford University; Chief Data Scientist David Kil, previously the Chief Data Scientist for Humana Health Services; and newly-appointed Chief Technology Officer, Niranjan Nagar, a former senior executive at Facebook, Electronic Arts and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
“Civitas Learning has pulled together a world-class team to power our Pioneer Partners,” said Civitas Learning CEO and founder, Charles Thornburgh. “Together with the trifecta of a cloud-based analytics platform, data and intervention science, and engaging apps, we can help our partners use the best of predictive analytics to support their current and future student success initiatives.”
Some examples of the new institutions joining Civitas Learning include:
- The University of Texas at Brownsville and the University of Texas - Pan American as they work toward their merger to form the new The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley;
- Montgomery County Community College as it continues its Leader College work with Achieving the Dream;
- The University of South Florida System as it dives deeper into its analytics work to further improve graduation and retention;
- American Public University System (APUS) as it continues its national leadership in innovation in data science to support student completion;
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette as they use learning analytics to improve student learning success, and to enhance faculty student retention efforts in distance learning programs;
- Lorain County Community College as it expands its Completion by Design work with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation;
- University of Arkansas System as it launches its new eVersity providing broader online learning options in the state, and;
- Coast Community College and Golden West Community College as they continue to innovate to help more students complete and transfer successfully.
New partners will join with the Founding Pioneers in this September’s invitation-only Civitas Learning Summit at The University of Texas at Austin’s AT&T Executive Center. Teams from these diverse institutions will come together to share learnings from their various projects and explore how analytics can power the work. Ongoing innovations, ideas and insights are already being shared online in the Civitas Learning Space (www.civitaslearningspace.com), which features videos, learning briefs, case studies and podcasts from partner institutions, as well as thought pieces from leaders across higher education.
“As you dive into the work of our Pioneer Partners, you’ll quickly see they are the best of student success scientists,” said Dr. Mark David Milliron, Civitas Learning’s co-founder and chief learning officer. “They want to use a scalable, sophisticated, and strategic analytics platform to inform their innovation and support their innovators. We’re honored to be learning together with them in this important work.”
About Civitas Learning, Inc.
By building a community of forward-thinking higher education institutions, Civitas Learning™ brings together the best of education, technology and data in its mission to help a million more college students learn well and finish strong. Using a cloud-based predictive analytics platform and engaging applications, Civitas Learning bring deep insights to decision makers in education and delivers personalized, real-time recommendations directly to the frontlines for students, faculty, and advisors to measurably improve student persistence, completion and graduation. Civitas Learning is based in Austin, Texas. For more information, visit: www.civitaslearning.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org