Skip Navigation

Consequences of Unpaid Balances

Doctoral - Consequences of Unpaid Balances

APUS provides high quality educational programs at an affordable cost. You are responsible for understanding your charges and meeting financial obligations associated with your education. While we understand that you may receive financial assistance from third parties, including federal student aid, the ultimate financial responsibility belongs to you.

For students using U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs educational benefits, please refer to the section in the student handbook: “Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Payments.”

If for any reason a payment is not received and a balance exists on your student account, you will be placed on Financial Hold. This status includes third-party payments, such as TA, FSA, or scholarships that have not been received as expected.

If your financial status is on Financial Hold, you will be blocked from the following while the balance is remaining:

  • Registration for another term.
  • Having your diploma or certificate issued.
  • Being readmitted to the University.
  • You should contact Student Support at as soon as possible to resolve any outstanding balances on your account.

Payment Policies

Tuition and fees are due in full prior to the beginning of each academic period (session or semester) through direct payment or approved payment arrangements. Balances may be viewed through your online ledger.

You are responsible for making payment or entering into an approved payment arrangement prior to the start of the academic period regardless of whether notification was received regarding an unpaid balance.

You are financially responsible for all unpaid balances including those that result from payments not received from, or payments returned to, third parties. Third parties include, but are not limited to, Veteran’s benefits, employer education benefits, scholarships, and Federal Student Aid (FSA).

Notifications regarding account balances are sent to your email address on record. You are responsible for maintaining your correct contact information with APUS.

Outstanding Accounts and Collections Policy

You are responsible for charges assessed to your account. There may be financial impacts related to dropping or withdrawing from a course or the University.

Your account is considered to be in good standing if by the payment deadline at the beginning of each academic period: (a) your tuition and fees are paid in full; (b) you have an approved payment arranged (approved by the Business Office) that is current in its payments; (c) you have approved tuition assistance through a third party; or (d) you have approved financial aid through Federal Student Aid; or (e) a scholarship sufficient to cover your account balance.

Your student account is not in good standing if there is an outstanding balance that is past due that will not be paid through an approved payment plan, third party, scholarship, or Federal Student Aid.

Your student account will be placed on a balance due hold if third party payments, including but not limited to, Veteran’s benefits, employer education benefits, scholarships, and Federal Student Aid are not received or are returned due to participation or eligibility rules. For students using U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs educational benefits, please refer to the section in the student handbook: Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) Payments.

If activity on your student account results in a balance later in, or after the term, a balance due hold will be placed on the account at that time.

If your student account is not in good standing it may, among other things, result in:

  • Cancellation of enrollment
  • Denial of registration for future classes
  • Referral to collections agency
  • Denial of readmission
  • Denial of graduation

In the event you become delinquent, the account may be referred to a collection agency and additional costs may become an additional obligation for you.

When an account is referred to an outside collection agency, the past due account may be reported to all national credit bureaus.

Once the account is referred to a collection agency, you will be contacted by a representative of that agency. Payments are then made directly to that agency and not the University.

Billing Rights Summary

If you believe your account balance is incorrect, or you would like more information about a transaction on your account, contact us as follows:

  • Telephone: 877-755-2787 ext: 8227
  • E-mail:
  • Mail:
    American Public University System
    Attn: Business Office
    111 West Congress Street
    Charles Town, WV 25414

Please include the following information in the request:

  • Your name and student ID#.
  • The dollar amount of the suspected error.
  • A description of the error and an explanation, if possible, of why you believe the error occurred or why you are disputing the balance.

You do not have to pay the amount in question while the University investigates, but you are obligated to pay the portion of the bill that is not in question.

 Back to Top