M.P.A. Public Administration Assessment Results
Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of M.P.A. Public Administration students at APUS.
- PO#1- Assess the leading approaches to managing public organizations.
- PO#2- Evaluate the moral, legal, and ethical aspects of decision-making in the public sector.
- PO#3- Evaluate the government budgeting process and funding of government programs and organizations.
- PO#4- Appraise the role of government organizations in public policy development and implementation.
- PO#5- Develop solutions to a public issue that take into account multiple stakeholders and decision-makers.
- PO#6- Implement the core concept of public service by providing evidence of service to the public or nonprofit sector.
- PO#7- Critique a difficult political situation and offer creative and innovative solutions that take into account multiple stakeholders and decision-makers.
- PO#8- Assess the part diversity, or lack thereof, plays in public administration.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the M.P.A. Public Administration Program.