American Public University System is pleased to provide students with several online communities in which to hold constructive discussions, solicit advice or input, and provide support to peers. Participation in such communities is a privilege, not a right, and is reserved for members who conduct themselves in a professional and responsible manner.
The purpose of our social communities is to promote scholarship and academia, as well as enhance the student experience outside of the classroom. While we encourage open discussion, as page administrators we retain the right to remove any content that is not consistent with the university's mission or core values and does not support the goals outlined above. We also abide by the Facebook Community standard policy.
To make American Public University System's social media sites the best possible environment, we invite members and non-members to participate in our groups and ask that everyone follow a few simple guidelines. We'll do our part to ensure the APUS social media sites remain a constructive and supportive place but we need everyone's help. This policy is subject to amendment or modification at any time.
The following actions may result in removal from our communities. The severity of a violation, as determined in the sole discretion of the administrators, will determine whether a warning is issued first. Students may also be referred for discipline consistent with the policies found in the student handbook. Note that removal from one community will result in removal from all APUS branded communities:
- Harassment of students or staff
- Continued posting of repetitive content
- Inflammatory or vulgar content/language or use of symbols to represent vulgar language
- Personal attacks or abusive behavior that target or disparage any ethnic, racial, age, or religious group, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status
- Repeated instances of comments not relevant to original posts
- Comments or images that are slanderous, libelous, fraudulent, misleading, or unlawful
- Threatening comments or images, whether physical or not, against individuals and/or the university
- Posting of personal information of yourself, another student, faculty or staff. Personal information includes but is not limited to; contact information, personal account information, or full names of staff members with whom you have spoken “offline.”
- Solicitation, spamming, or link baiting
- By participating in our social communities, you agree to abide by these policies and guidelines
- Participants must contribute to the community in a constructive fashion; exhibiting patience, understanding, tolerance and respect
- Posts older than 30 days may be removed
Please don't spam. What is spam? Spam is posting the same message repeatedly across the network, writing the same post or comment over and over again or sending the same message to multiple members. If you are reported or deemed to be a spammer, you may be banned from the APUS social communities.
Insults and Harassment
Respectfully disagreeing with someone, including the university, in a constructive, respectful, well-reasoned manner is okay. However, it is not appropriate to use the university’s communities as an outlet for your anger or frustration. Unconstructive, toxic, profane, or generally abusive comments will lead to removal from our communities.
Revised September 22, 2014