"I wanted to have the flexibility to study while continuing to do my job leading a nonprofit organization in 56 countries. By attending AMU, I have been able to discover and discuss new instances and learn new perspectives on how I can tackle human rights issues, using applied knowledge from actual perspectives."
APUS Student Community
Top 11% Return on Investment
American Public University System ranked in the Top 11% for return on educational investment, compared to 4,500 colleges and universities in the United States, according to the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce report.
Students by School
- Arts, Humanities & Education: 22%
- Business: 27%
- Health Sciences: 15%
- STEM: 16%
- Security & Global Studies: 20%
Students by Race/Ethnicity
- American Indian or Alaskan native: 1%
- Asian: 3%
- Black or African American: 16%
- Hispanic or Latino: 18%
- Multiple: 4%
- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander: 1%
- Non resident alien: 1%
- White/Caucasian: 48%
- Unknown: 8%
Students by Affiliation
- Active Duty: 65%
- Civilian: 13%
- Military Dependent/Other: 0.50%
- Military Spouse: 3%
- National Guard: 4%
- Reservists: 4%
- Veteran: 11%
"What made AMU different is that they got me to trust them, and the idea was that in the future things would work out because I trust this university. That has helped me shape my career after the military completely."
"Having my degree has opened a lot of doors and built my confidence and has changed my life as a professional. My experience with American Military University, as both an alum and student ambassador, has been a humbling experience."
"The online education was flexible, it was affordable, and there was a philanthropic aspect. These were the three big things that stood out to me, and the tie to American Military University and the respect for our servicemen and women."
"You can be at work the whole day, but at the same time, you’re a student at APU. I see myself getting close, closer to my dream. I see myself making a difference in the world."
"The demands of a working parent can be challenging, however, through APU I successfully balanced my family life and professional responsibilities while still managing the enriching challenges of my graduate studies."
Tuition Per Credit Hour
96% of respondents to the End of Program survey say their APUS program met their expectations*
*based on over 5,000 student responses to a 2021 survey after students completed their programs.
University Specialized Accreditation
Top 10 Best Online Schools
We are dedicated to offering high-quality, affordable, and workforce-relevant education to our students. That's why we've been named one of the top 10 online colleges by ZDNet.
Students by Degree Level
APUS Conferral and Alumni Metrics
Average Class Size
- Undergraduate: 18 students
- Master’s and Graduate Certificate: 10 students
Degree & Certificate Programs
- Associate degrees: 25
- Bachelor's degrees: 55
- Undergraduate certificates: 55
- Master's degrees: 43
- Graduate certificates: 56
- Doctoral degrees: 2
- Total degrees: 125
- Total certificates: 111
- Total NanoCerts: 32
- Total programs: 268
Faculty & Staff Information
- Faculty: 1,776
- Full-time faculty: 335
- Part-time faculty: 1,441
- Faculty members reside in local area: 253
- Staff members reside in local area: 456
- Full-time faculty with terminal degree in their field: 65%
- Average tenure: 8.32 years
- Faculty awards/distinctions: 48
- Faculty publications: 268
- Faculty research grants: $96,612 in-progress or completed APUS research grants (18 unique awards to 26 faculty members); $1,405,400 in-progress or completed external grants (17 unique awards to 12 faculty members)
Faculty data current as of end of 2021. All other data current as of: December 31, 2022