Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of A.S. Accounting students at APUS.
- PO#1- Describe the general role of accounting in business in relation to its use by managers, investors, businesses, and regulatory agencies.
- PO#2- List Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and recall how GAAP is established.
- PO#3- Utilize the steps in the accounting cycle to prepare financial statements from raw financial data.
- PO#4- Complete accounting analyses and explain how this information is used to assist in making managerial decisions and controlling the financial aspects of business operations.
- PO#5- Recognize the ethical framework for accountants adopted by professional accounting organizations, such as the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA).
- PO#6- Discuss basic business and economic terms and concepts.
- PO#7- Employ office productivity applications to create business and accounting related reports and presentations.
Learning Outcomes Assessment: ETS Proficiency Profile
Undergraduate students at American Public University System (both AMU and APU) are required to participate in our national testing initiative as they near degree completion. This involves completion of the ETS Proficiency Profile, a general education assessment. This initiative enables us to evaluate and inform teaching and learning, as well as benchmark our programs. Below are combined results from the ETS Proficiency Profile for A.S. Accounting students in the School of Business.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the A.S. Accounting Program.