A.A. Early Childhood Care and Education
Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of A.A. Early Childhood Care and Education students at APUS.
- PO#1- Describe the scope and principal theories of early childhood care and education.
- PO#2- Describe how existing knowledge and practice in early childhood care and education is tested and revised.
- PO#3- Use appropriate research documents on early childhood care and education, and cite appropriately.
- PO#4- Demonstrate the ability to apply concepts learned in the classroom to real-life settings.
- PO#5- Describe his or her own cultural background and how this background has influenced his or her own beliefs and practices in the field of child development and family studies.
Learning Outcomes Assessment: ETS Proficiency Profile
Undergraduate students at American Public University System (both AMU and APU) are required to participate in our national testing initiative as they near degree completion. This involves completion of the ETS Proficiency Profile, a general education assessment. This initiative enables us to evaluate and inform teaching and learning, as well as benchmark our programs. Below are combined results from the ETS Proficiency Profile for A.A. Early Childhood Care and Education students in the School of Education.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the A.A. Early Childhood Care and Education Program.