Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of B.S. Fire Science Management students at APUS.
- PO#1- Analyze the current and historical strategies, practices, and policies that guide the modern field of fire science.
- PO#2- Demonstrate the role of fire science personnel in leading, managing, and collaborating with colleagues, subordinates, constituents, and the community.
- PO#3- Apply theory and practical methods to issues in fire science.
- PO#4- Summarize the methods and resources needed to effectively manage fire services.
- PO#5- Examine assessment and planning tactics to improve organization and community risk management for fire services.
- PO#6- Describe strategies and methods to accomplish fire science operations.
- PO#7- Differentiate the various practices involved in fire science, their fundamental scientific principles, and their associated mitigation and response strategies.
- PO#8- Interpret the legal and regulatory duties and responsibilities that have an impact on the fire science field.
Learning Outcomes Assessment: ETS Proficiency Profile
Undergraduate students at American Public University System (both AMU and APU) are required to participate in our national testing initiative as they near degree completion. This involves completion of the ETS Proficiency Profile, a general education assessment. This initiative enables us to evaluate and inform teaching and learning, as well as benchmark our programs. Below are combined results from the ETS Proficiency Profile for B.S. Fire Science Management students in the School of Security and Global Studies.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the B.S. Fire Science Management Program.
Program Completion & Retention Data
Below you will find the number of student completions for the B.S. Fire Science Management Program, as well as the rate of retention by year.