Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of B.S. Natural Sciences students at APUS.
- PO#1- Demonstrate a solid foundation in the theory and application of the natural sciences.
- PO#2- Apply the scientific method and appropriate tools to investigate and solve problems.
- PO#3- Demonstrate critical thinking skills in assessing and evaluating problems.
- PO#4- Formulate scientific models and apply them to solve problems or provide insights into complex issues.
- PO#5- Apply qualitative and quantitative methods from the scientific domains.
- PO#6- Use quantitative techniques to solve complex problems.
- PO#7- Effectively communicate scientific findings verbally and in writing, to both scientific and lay audiences.
*At this time, there is not enough data to report. Updates will be made as soon as this information becomes available.
Learning Outcomes Assessment: ETS Proficiency Profile
Undergraduate students at American Public University System (both AMU and APU) are required to participate in our national testing initiative as they near degree completion. This involves completion of the ETS Proficiency Profile, a general education assessment. This initiative enables us to evaluate and inform teaching and learning, as well as benchmark our programs. Below are combined results from the ETS Proficiency Profile for B.S. Natural Sciences students in the School of Science, Technology, Engineering & Math.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the B.S. Natural Sciences Program.