Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of B.A. Security Management students at APUS.
- PO#1- Identify organizational security risk exposure; identify cost-effective mitigation strategies; and prepare for recovery strategies.
- PO#2- Employ the use of risk analysis and vulnerability assessment processes.
- PO#3- Critically examine the variety and extent of losses from criminal acts, natural disasters, and security breaches facing society.
- PO#4- Analyze concepts of information security, personnel security, and physical security and determine the planning approaches to prevent business losses.
- PO#5- Analyze the trends affecting security and loss prevention and determine the approaches to reduce losses facing businesses and institutions.
- PO#6- Evaluate, from a multi-disciplinary approach, non-traditional approaches to crime prevention.
- PO#7- Distinguish between traditional criminal justice roles, functions, and concepts as a reactive institution to the security roles as a preventive societal institution.
Learning Outcomes Assessment: ETS Proficiency Profile
Undergraduate students at American Public University System (both AMU and APU) are required to participate in our national testing initiative as they near degree completion. This involves completion of the ETS Proficiency Profile, a general education assessment. This initiative enables us to evaluate and inform teaching and learning, as well as benchmark our programs. Below are combined results from the ETS Proficiency Profile for B.A. Security Management students in the School of Security and Global Studies.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the B.A. Security Management Program.