Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of M.A. Emergency and Disaster Management students at APUS.
- PO#1- Develop a research proposal for emergency and disaster management and report the findings including an estimation of economic impacts.
- PO#2- Select, evaluate, and prioritize research projects and proposals in community preparedness and emergency response.
- PO#3- Organize emergency management functions and activities using contemporary emergency and disaster management concepts and federal guidelines.
- PO#4- Formulate plans that clearly differentiate disaster response actions including recovery operations and their funding from routine emergency operations.
- PO#5- Design and promote inter-disciplinary training to assure integration between all aspects of an emergency operations function including: planning and pre-event preparedness; threat and vulnerability assessments; capability and capacity evaluation; public policy issues; mitigation strategies; exercises and training; program evaluation.
- PO#6- Develop plans and policies that ensure the strong organizational and personal relationships necessary to be able to work with the key federal agencies to ensure interagency cooperation at all levels during any large scale incident.
- PO#7- Formulate policies procedures and protocols to allow seamless agency integration in both small and large emergency operations centers (EOCs) assuring compliance with the National Response Plan and National Incident Management System.
- PO#8- Perform economic and social analyses necessary to provide funding recommendations to appropriate fiscal authorities; develop and manage budgets.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the M.A. Emergency and Disaster Management Program.