Program Learning Outcomes
By using various assessment tools and/or rubrics within the classroom, American Public University System (APUS) is able to capture a snapshot of students’ success in fulfilling their program outcomes. Signature assignments, generally in the final course of a program, are used to assess students’ proficiency in meeting each program outcome (PO). In order to show proficiency in an area, a student must achieve a score of 85% or greater. American Public University System strives to have 70% or more (university benchmark) of our students reaching the 85% proficiency standard. When this benchmark isn't met, action is taken to improve curriculum and instruction to better serve our students. The below chart shows combined results of M.A. Security Management students at APUS.
- PO#1- Recognize and critically analyze the various forms of liability associated with the security management industry.
- PO#2- Provide cost-effective measures for architectural security design for facilities, airport security, and critical infrastructures.
- PO#3- Integrate and adapt security concepts and services from traditional approaches to address vulnerabilities to new technologies.
- PO#4- Evaluate the technologies of security systems, information security, and asset protection methodologies, and construct a reasonable view through critical thinking, to draw logical conclusions towards objective perspectives.
- PO#5- Assess the security function as it pertains to complex specializations in safety, safeguarding sensitive assets, and conducting vulnerability assessments.
- PO#6- Relate and associate historical, economic, equity and social perspectives of security measures and associate them to contemporary needs of protection and loss prevention.
- PO#7- Apply the principles of scientific management to security management as a unique discipline.
- PO#8- Apply the concepts of professional and ethical behavior to security programs and organizations.
End of Program Survey
Student satisfaction is extremely important at American Public University System. Students are asked to complete a survey at the conclusion of their program to give insight on their experience. Below are anonymous, self-reported results, from the End of Program survey, for students in the M.A. Security Management Program.